Montpellier SEV Unit
GEVES’s Montpellier unit is primarily responsible for the field testing of new varieties. The species tested are those cultivated in southern France.
GEVES’s Montpellier Unit is located in the Valette area, based at the Agropolis centre which is made up of several higher education establishments and agricultural researchers (SupAgro, INRA, CIRAD, IRD, IRSTEA).
This station is responsible for variety testing of field species in liaison with two other GEVES stations in Anjouère and Le Magneraud. It carries out testing which is necessary for:
- Registering and protecting varieties of field species
- Seed certification
Experts who work at this station play a key role in the evolution of protocols and testing methods at national and international levels, through their collaboration with organisations such as the CTPS, the CPVO and UPOV, and also through methodological research projects which are conducted at the station.
Trials conducted at the station
VCUS networks piloted by Montpellier
|Pea, Winter Faba Bean, Vetch||X|
|Grain & Forage Sorghum||X||X||X|
- Head of Unit: Vincent GENSOLLEN
- 9 permanent agents
- 27 months/year of seasonal workers
- 40ha site area with 10ha testing area
- The remaining area is used for planting homogenisation crops. The earth is very fertile, with deep silt of pH8 (clay, limestone and silt ground). The climate is mediterranean with prominent dry summers. The entire area is irrigable.
Montpellier Experimental Unit
La Valette – 711, rue Jean-François Breton 34090 MONTPELLIER
Tel: +33 4 67 04 35 80
Mr Vincent GENSOLLEN
Head of Unit
Technical Secretary for Forage and Grass Plants
Mr Eric DELPON
Deputy Head of Unit
Head of Rice VCUS
Ms Corinne RUDELLE
Ms Corinne BERTHUIT
Head of Grass VCUS